Finding the Right Words
Communication is one of the most important tools we have as we try to negotiate our relationships with family members, friends, and fellow workers. If you are having trouble being heard, trouble listening, or just finding the right words at the right moment, look around your home and office. Any of the following design details can prevent or distort communication:
- Doors that bump into one another when they open, for discord takes the place of communication
- An open entry (without a door) to the bedroom, for partners may not be able to find the words needed to solve a problem.
- A door at the end of a long hallway, for it can distort one’s emotional equilibrium. A simple comment from another may easily set off a reaction that is out of proportion to the situation.
- A stairway in the center of the house, for it can amplify differing opinions.
- Many doors in a small space, for this is often the place where people quarrel.
- More than three doors in a row (through which you can walk), for the division through the house or office may prevent all communication.
Each design detail has a cure, and you can call on us to help. Until then, hang a wind chime just inside the front door. The “sounds” of conflict and discord will begin to disappear.