Giving Advice Five Element Style
Balancing the Involvement of an Earth Person
Your interaction with someone whose essence is Earth may begin in the kitchen, and often with the offering of food. As you are nourished and cared for, you may feel at home, trusting the poised and sunny disposition that greets you. Your ideas will be thoughtfully received and met with a practical, down-to-earth, intelligent scrutiny. However, don’t get too comfortable. There may be some valuable information hidden behind the generous, warm, and genuine smile.
Wanting to be involved and needed, the Earth person can become a meddling, overprotective, busybody, lost and overextended, obsessed and plagued by worry. At this point, anything new can overwhelm and overburden your friend or family member. You can facilitate change without the perceived threat of disorder and imbalance.Your challenge is to unearth the thoughts that may not be spoken, buried in the details of other people’s lives.
When you do discover what is needed, and communicate the recommended changes, you may encounter some serious resistance, even earth-shaking intractability. There is some comfort for the Earth person in being stuck, and feeling weighted down. At least life feels full, unlike the familiar feelings of emptiness and deprivation.
We can hear Earth’s cry of help as a lack of self-confidence, self-expression and self-reliance, all lost in the demands of a devoted, loyal, accommodating dedication to serve those most in need. We must care for the Earth person as they care for us, with compassion, tenderness, thoughtfulness, and gentle consideration. We must listen carefully, and reach beneath the surface.
The Earth person may best receive and implement advice that is:
- Practical, down-to-earth, reliable, efficient, harmonious, nurturing, slow, agreeable to others, and inclusive of the efforts of others to implement
They will appreciate your:
- Poise, stability, ease, diplomacy, involvement, consideration, active and focused listening, dependability, honesty, and integrity
They may have difficulty with:
- Conflict, change, disloyalty, separateness, careless remarks (especially about their home), dishonesty, lack of sympathy and interest
If you encounter:
- Reactions that are disproportionate to the situation, (especially when even the smallest detail seems earth shattering), look to the qualities of Wood to break up the pattern of self pity and dissatisfaction; action, self-confidence, courage, optimism, and motivation
- A defeated, ambivalent, and inert Earth person, look to the qualities of Fire to spark the enthusiasm that is necessary to move forward; warmth, love, intimacy, vitality, understanding, concern, playfulness, and magnetism
- The power of Earth is to set things straight, to unify discordant personalities, thoughts, ideas, and principles. Without this passion for togetherness, we would all be considerably more lonely and desolate. Yet, it is this very concern with peace and harmony that can anesthetize our gracious and giving Earth mother. She needs a room of her own where she can be alone to come to know herself, beginning to experience and express her own needs and desires. Seek to help her find her place.